Followers

Monday 11 July 2011

FLOP

The big questions remain unanswered. Can space be infinite and time eternal? Can space be finite and time have just, somehow, started?  Both alternatives are clearly absurd, but if we cannot answer these questions, what is the point of cutting out money-off coupons from newspapers, sending our daughters to ballet classes or answering lifestyle surveys online?
Ten minutes ago, I picked up the telephone to complain to the council about uneven paving stones outside my mother's house, but after two rings, I began to shiver and flopped down on the sofa to contemplate the ultimate fate of the universe, leaving the receiver dangling.
No doubt my call would have been placed in a queue, before being forwarded around various departments until I eventually gave up.  Today, there is no time for such nonsense; the future of mankind is at stake.

No comments: