Followers

Monday 11 July 2011

HOUSE

I’ve searched for years for the perfect house. Now, perhaps, I’ve found it. The problem is that, although it's clearly unoccupied, there are no obvious signs that it's for sale.
When I enquire into its ownership or history the locals make their excuses and leave, or change the subject.  All I can glean is that it once belonged to a reclusive old woman. Sure, it's in grave need of repair, but the location is perfect. It sits in a clearing in the wood and is constructed from an array of materials not typical of this, or any other, region.
Dusk is turning into dark when I visit my dream cottage to find some clues to its past; somewhere in the long-neglected shrubbery, I imagine I hear a cat miaowing mournfully, perhaps pining for its long-lost mistress.

No comments: